Tuesday 7 July 2015

The further I get the clearer I see

Hello you bastions of beauty, all of you,

Things are going well here, if you don't count my incredibly short fuse, which poor lovely husband bares the brunt of mostly.

This post won't be too long but can I just say that the further I get from drinking alcohol the more I see how fucked up it made me. How much time I spent worrying about my health (both mental and physical), my kids (how would they cope when I died of cirrhosis), what I'd said or done the night before, my finances and so on. How lately it was harder and harder to get that lovely buzz off it, how my drinking had become more committed and more determined. How I'd stopped all pretence of pacing myself or limiting myself. I was drinking for only one thing. To get pissed. Towards the end I really was ruled by the bottle. Sometimes I'd have one or two glasses and I'd actually feel like stopping but I couldn't. I'd be saying to myself that I'd started now and I have to keep going. That is mental!

I can't believe that I've gone from someone who was terrified for years to face the idea of being a problem drinker and having to do something about it to someone who can't really imagine having a drink again. 

I have found myself being more neurotic about the kids and less patient of people since I've given up. People seem to annoy me more. I'm such a bitch!! I don't know why they do. I was never known for my high levels of tolerance in general but it's really gone to shite lately!

Anyway, we've all lived to fight another day, in whatever state we're in. So go us.
xxxMtts.

8 comments:

  1. The annoyance with the world will die down.
    I had lunch with a fellow sober friend. We are both 19 months sober and we marvelled at how every day still brings further clarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it does cos I have very little patience at the moment!

      Delete
  2. I still get mad, but not nearly as often as I used too when I was drunk!
    Then I would even yell and give the finger to people while I was driving!
    YIKES!
    I can see clearer now, too.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah I know that feeling. I used to get really irritable after one or two drinks but then I'd be ok after that (as long as lovely husband didn't tell me I'd probably had enough to drink and should stop now...poor man)

      Delete
  3. Hopefully things will settle down soon. I too sometimes get really shitty for no reason. I will be fine for the first half of the day then out of nowhere, something will annoy be and I'll be really annoyed and angry. Thankfully it passes.
    Hope you feel better soon. A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see where you're coming from when you say ... can't stop. If I have a bottle then I must drink the bottle. If there's some left over in the fridge it stays there for drinking the next time ... Heaven forbid I should throw it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stays in the fridge??? What the fresh hell are you taking about?? My fridge got cleaned out everytime!

      Delete