Tuesday 18 August 2015

I'm not done yet!

So people, as you can see from my title, the last few days have pointed out to me clearly that I'm still just at the start of this new path.

I've had a friend to stay with her two kids. We'd normally have a bottle or two (who'm I kidding) between us when we hook up. I'm pretty sure she wanted to drink but she said she thought it wouldn't be fair of her to given my situation. Of course I went overboard saying that I didn't mind at all if she drank and that she totally should get a bottle. But actually, on reflection, I'm glad she didn't. It's not that it would've killed me or anything but it just makes life that little bit easier if people don't....

We've a big party this weekend for lovely husband's 40th. We've people coming from the UK and from Ireland. I'm quite nervous about it all and feel like I just want to organise the party but then hide away for the night! I know it'll be fine but I guess I'm just apprehensive. Also lovely husband is finished his 'in support' 100 day challenge so it'll be weird that he's drinking again. He doesn't really have much, maybe a bottle or two but at least when he wasn't I felt like I had a non drinking buddy.

I think I'm having a few days where although I don't feel like drinking I do miss that relief that it gives, initially at least. That lovely, first few sips, relaxation. I guess that is a feeling that is no longer available to me and I am learning how to deal with that. I'm tired and I'm stressed a little bit.

However, I know it will pass and thank god I have my lovely little online group of supporters. I really couldn't do this without you guys so thanks so much. All your comments mean SO much to me.

Hope you're all doing ok.

xxxxxxxMtts. 

6 comments:

  1. I miss those first few sips a lot. But let's be honest, those first sips are never last ones. A bottle or two later, we will feel ashamed and guilty. And hungover as hell in the morning. Do you miss that? I bet you don't. You are doing amazingly. Those moments will pass and you will love the fact that you didn't drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be the hostess with the mostest, throw a fabulous party in the manner of a sober lady- organized and fun. Awesome things about being sober at a your party:
    1. You will get everything cleaned up at the end of the night and have a nice tidy home in the morning
    2. You won't say or doing anything you'll regret
    3. You'll be able to attend to you guests with MAXIMUM HOSPITALITY
    4. And probably become legendary for your party-throwing skills.
    It's all WIN!!

    Sounds like a very good friend!! You're not done yet, the good part is just starting:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoy the 40th. You will be such a better host not drinking. I had my sons birthday last week and it was awesome being a non drinker and i felt like i threw a good party and looked after everyone well. It turned into a massive family get together and honestly i did not miss drinking at all. Hope you have the same experience.
    i think your blog will be very beneficial to lots people to see how u get on as the months roll by. I think we will always miss something about the odd glass wine in the evening to zone out/ get a buzz but really its my own fault. I invariably mess it up and have the guts of 1 or 2 bottles and its just exhausting. Finally feel mature enuf to call a halt! Ciao for now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear MTTS,
    One time I hosted a jewelry party and got so drunk, I have no idea who bought things, and it was not good.
    Maybe your hubby can not drink some days?
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. See how things go with your husband. Perhaps if it really bothers you you could ask that he not drink at home or around you. You might have to be very clear that it is hard for you. But most regular drinkers don't need it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a really nice gesture from your friend. Sure, we all have to right to whatever we do, but we must also think of other people’s circumstances, and it is most welcome if we would help each other cope, even with kind gestures like those. One of which is by simply taking the alcohol out of the situation, so that drinking is not even a possibility, especially if one is aware that a friend is trying their best to stay sober. Cheers!

    Gerard Holland @ SoberLife USA

    ReplyDelete