Friday 4 December 2015

Self validation

Hello all

Again, my posting more regularly is definitely going better...I just find it hard to find the time to post during the day and then in the evenings I'm just too tired! Still I'll keep trying!

So I'm 7 months off the booze now! Can't quite believe that it's me that's done that. 7 months seems even more significant than 6. I don't know why, I guess 6 months is a milestone but then 7 is just more normal and everyday, like it's what I do now.

I have to say I've been thinking alot about self validation lately. About how in any conversation or discussion I will always think that other people are right or know better than me. That my opinion or idea isn't as good or as 'right' as others are. Interesting. I wonder where that comes from. I have friends who have massive sureness in themselves. It's a lovely quality. To be sure of yourself. Even though in some aspects I'm very confident I can also be insecure and worrisome about things. It's interesting that these deep thoughts are coming up now, now the fog and relentless cycle of hungover, drunk, thinking of drinking and also of self loathing is gone all these new, more interesting thoughts are arriving.

I'm having a bit of a stressful time lately though so I have to be aware that old ways of thinking (circling thoughts, negative feelings etc) are a reaction to the stress rather than the truth. I'm thinking about a mindfulness course.

Also, I wanted to ask you guys, with Christmas coming up and all these yummy mince pies with brandy butter or boozy trifles knocking around - Will you avoid these like the plague or have some?? My gut is to avoid like plague but I'm just interested really in what people think in general of food with booze in!!

I hope you're all doing well. I will check in again soon. I promise.

xxxxMtts

7 comments:

  1. hi mtts, i unsubscribed from blogs but actually still reading them so feels appropriate to comment. hope that ok? well done on 7 months and everything you have achieved. I think i would avoid the xmas boozy treats for now. I don't really have a sweet tooth so maybe easy for me. Seems like it might not be worth it thou. Happy Christmas..xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear MTTS,
    Happy 7 months!!
    I'm sorry you are having a stressful time.
    There were times when I was working I would feel as if my opinion was not important. It was hard.
    If there were a lot of forceful people, they all felt they were right!
    If you are worried about the cookies etc., I would stay away from them. I don't have any issues, but you wouldn't want to mess with your beautiful new life!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a champagne truffle (Mr SM's favourites) from time to time, which make me feel happily naughty, but don't make me want to schnarf the whole box or attack the cooking sherry ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on 7 months! That is so awesome. I'm not sure about the Christmas food with alcohol in it. I'm sure you can't taste it, and it's probably fine. Just go with your instincts I guess. It can be a stressful time of year, I hope things get better for you soon. A x

    ReplyDelete
  5. do whatever feels best. If you are wary, just say no.

    Self confidence is a tough one. My word for 2016 is going to be faith. Mainly faith in myself.
    I'll write a post on it next week.

    Dediniteky still something I am working on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Treats with alcohol don't bother me. Drinks do. I can have a few chocolates filled with brandy and I am fine. But one glass of wine always leads to another. So... you should know yourself and what makes you uncomfortable. Sometimes it is tricky though. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 7 months for me too. I agree it feels different/better than 6 months. I think I remember commenting on your blog that things better get good after 6 months as we were both feeling so meh! Well here we are! Better but new worries too. I think I will avoid heavily alcohol tasting things like brandy sauce, sherry trifles etc that contain quite a lot of actual alcohol. Fake stuff like truffles etc I'll eat. It's a bit of a minefield and a lot of people are starting to ask me if I'll now have a drink over Christmas and new year. I'm still faking it and just saying that I don't think so as am not missing it. I'm not but I am too a bit. I also fake self confidence and sometimes feel like my life is an outer body experience as I'm not really that person. If that makes sense? Hang on in there. Christmas is gonna be great!!! Am happy that I'll last the pace, eat great food and chill out with the kids without being too grumpy (I hope). The other things - wine, champagne, being tipsy, etc etc - am just going to ignore!!!! Have a lovely weekend xxxx

    ReplyDelete