Wednesday 16 December 2015

Christmas cheer

Hello all my lovlies

I hope you're all managing to muddle your ways through the start of the festive, party season...

I'm up and down at the moment. Currently, at this second (yes, it's up and down that quickly!) I'm feeling good. Excited for all the yummy food we'll be eating next friday, looking forward to making some virgin cocktails and buying some fancy drinks from Marks & Spencer. My lovely husband has been out a bit lately (overrated he tells me) and I was catering for a supper club recently where all the girls attending headed off into town afterwards. It's those times that I feel a bit, well, sad really. For that idealistic night out, bonding with friends, having the craic, seeing who's who and what's what. I miss getting really dressed up with a glass of wine in hand, listening to music, full of anticipation.

BUT then, I remember, I remember nights out were never, ever, ever like that. Well, it was, but only for about an hour or two. It was mostly blackouts, regrets the next day, worry about what I said, what I did and how much money I'd spent. How I got home and did I lose anything.

At the moment what I'm really tackling is the past. And regrets. What would I have done if I hadn't been either 1) Going off the rails on drugs in my early 20's or 2) Drinking - alot and dangerously in my 20's and early 30's and then just pretty much 3/4 nights a week after that. Would I have been a doctor (eh, no)or a nurse or a journalist or a social worker or a pilot or what?? Still I know that a career isn't something that often makes people happy, but I'd have liked to have tried!!
I also spend alot of last night worrying about the friends I left behind because of these things. Would I still be mates with my schoolpals if I hadn't discovered the joys of recreational drugs? Would I have been able to form more meaningful relationships (and hold on to them) if I was more grounded and a bit less drunk??

I know really there's no point thinking like this but I sort of feel it's part of a process. A journey somewhere. In fact I'm actually super lucky that I am where I am, with a brilliant family, amazing friends, enough money to get by and a dog and a cat. I know that's what Christmas is really and truly all about. And maybe it's time for me to be more thankful for that!!!!

Mind yourselves my dears. xxxx

My time to shine.

14 comments:

  1. Who knows what we could have done. It's more important to consider what you can still do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear MTTS,
    What you have now sounds wonderful!
    I understand your up and down feelings, and gratitude is the best help for my down feelings!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes after I wrote this piece I looked around me and saw what I have. I'm SO lucky..I include my ability to give up drink in that luckiness.

      Delete
  3. Keep looking forward, pay no mind to what'coulda'shoulda'woulda
    Happy Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's normal to reflect on the past. I have a lot of 'what ifs' too. But at the end of the day you can't change anything I guess we have to work through these feelings to fully heal. It can be hard. what you have now sounds wonderful! I agree with Anne. We have to concentrate on what we can still do. You are doing so well btw. A x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I constantly keep reminding myself of my drunk debacle. And then I keep imagining all the going out and parties and holidays with sober me. Your post and your upcoming celebration sounds peaceful and joyful. I am hoping to have the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I try and imagine how crappy drinking made me feel. And it made me feel really, really crappy.

      Delete
  6. It's hard not to look back and think..what if? But the path I took lead me to here, and my husband, so I can't be sorry. And life is not over yet, just think what we'll all be posting in a year's time...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably be posting from outer space or something!

      Delete
  7. Merry Christmas my time to shine! Here's to a very merry sober christmas! You up for it still??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EH, it means so much to me that someone is looking out for me! Yes, had a wonderful sober Christmas. Delighted with myself! xx How are you?

      Delete