Friday 22 April 2016

Nose ring

Hi all

People - I have a nose ring. It's official - I'm having a mid life crisis. A tattoo is next. I love sober!!

I feel awful for not blogging more (sigh, again.) I suppose I've felt a bit like I didn't want to talk about how I was feeling for awhile there. I was a bit up and down and sad that I don't drink anymore. I know I've gone through it before so I was just waiting for it to pass. I was also feeling a bit cross. Eventually I went to the doctor and she's upped my happy pills a little. Weirdly I've started feeling a bit better, even though I'm only on the higher dose a few days now!

I had a brilliant chat yesterday with a guy I'd emailed a few times about abstaining. He's a DJ on one of our national stations and he's made a few sober podcasts about his year of not drinking. He was sick of how hangovers made him feel and wanted to give it a break. In tandem he did The booze chronicles. They won some sort of award in the US. Google them! So anyway he was in town yesterday doing a live show and I decided to call down to see him. I would NEVER do this normally but he'd been a great support and I wanted to thank him. So we got chatting for a bit and then he asked if he could interview me for his next podcast!! ME!! BEING INTERVIEWED ABOUT BEING SOBER!!! Hilarious. It was so brilliant to meet a real live person who was also sort of in the same boat as me. I think in society we either are 1. full blown AA attending folk or 2. Drinkers. There's no-one in the middle, no-one stuggling quietly away, gettting their shit done but slowly dying inside, suffer mentally and physically. My husband now wants me to start a support group hilariously called The In-betweeners. So I'm not sure when it'll come out, even if it will come out but I'll let you know. It was a real boost to remember that there are other people out there that are like me. At this stage though I would really love to meet some of them. So who wants to come to Cork for coffee?!! You know you want to. Wouldn't it be amazing?? I'm hoping to be in London at the end of August, would anyone but up for meeting??

Anyway, on the 3rd May I'm a year sober. I can't quiet believe it, and I have a long list of 'presents' that I'm expressly asking for. Unfortunately a trip to Jamaica will have to wait though!

Lots of love my darlings. xxxxx

19 comments:

  1. A nose ring! How brilliant! I'm after a tat ;-) I'll meet you in London, my lovely! You sound amazing. And I love the in-betweeners idea! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound so happy to be sober. It's awesome! And a nose ring?! Go you! I would love to get a tat on my wrist but of course I worry too much what everyone will think. Will that ever change?! Let us know when we can listen to your interview and how to find it. A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get it done! I mean it. Tattoos are all over the place now so it's hardly a big deal. I mean, it's not like you don't drink alcohol or anything controversial like that..

      Delete
  3. Yay! I am always so glad to hear from you!!
    A nose ring is awesome!!
    That is so cool about the interview!!
    I am so glad you are doing well!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so brave and amazing.
    I have the sober tattoo, but no nose rings. Lol
    Yay you.
    I often think we need an in betweeners group, but I just don't have the energy. If you do it keep us informed!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I really do need to set up that group. No idea where to start though!

      Delete
  5. Yay to nose rings and happy pills. You sound happy and lots going on in your life. It's a year for me on may 11th. Well done us! A whole year!!! I still think about maybe drinking in the future (my get out of jail free card!) as can't think in terms of forever but day to day life is pretty good and the bonuses of not drinking are so good! But you are so right that there are so few like us. I don't know anyone else who has stopped and it can feel very alienating. I still have to explain why I don't drink to people and it can be exhausting going on about how it's been such a great thing to do and no, of course I don't miss it and yes, of course I'll drink again one day when the kids are older etc etc! I've got a small tattoo but might join you with a very small nose ring or little diamond stud. Why not! To celebrate a year maybe. Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! nearly a year! that is so exciting. I'm a year today. get the stud for your anniversay. go on!!

      Delete
  6. Hi I am new on here after finding SM blog...day 30 for me after 18 yrs fighting wine witch....congrats on nose ring..I am seriously thinking about tat...midlife crisis yeah...would live to meet other inbetweeners.. Count me in for August if dates work. .xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant. We can all get the same tats and recognise eachohter in august by them!

      Delete
    2. Excellent work on day 30 btw. It gets even better...

      Delete
  7. Hey, well done on nearly a year. AWESOME!! The podcasts are brill, i just listened to all 6 (is that it?). Wondering did he say off booze. I could relate to everything he said. Please let us know if you do one, that would be too cool. I was just in London at the weekend, i had forgotten what a great city it is. so much energy and such a good vibe, did wonder when in Soho when everyone partying do these people have all the bloody issues I have and are they as depressed the next day as me after drinking. Probably not but I really wondered. Good you're feeling better too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say they totally do. Sure we all looked like we were having a ball of a saturday night. I'd say alot more people suffer than not...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks,,,I hope so,,bit of a roller coaster..ATM...wish I'd done this before menopause hit...but I am determined...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a total rollercoaster whenever you do it. really, there's always a reason to drink. There's always a million reasons to drink!

      Delete
    2. I got a tattoo it was so liberating! Problem is with the addictive personality I now want more :) x

      Delete
  10. go for it! Sure all the mums have full sleeves these days!

    ReplyDelete