Monday 21 March 2016

Paddy's day and a hen night...

So last week brought two new sober experiences. Paddy's day, which would normally start off in my friend's house with a hot whiskey before the parade and a hen party, which would have been carnage (for me anyway, turns out that since I've stopped drinking I've noticed how little those around me seem to imbibe..)

So paddy's day was fine, really lovely. I had a few moments when I thought 'mmm I'd really like a glass of red now' The pubs were spilling out onto the paths and everyone seemed in great form (granted that was at about 3pm..a few hours later would have been a very different story I'm sure!) Friends invited us down to the hotel we usually go to after the parade. I said we'd go but then it dawned on me that I don't actually have to do that to myself. I can choose to stay out of the pub on Patrick's day. It's not mandatory!

Hen party was a bit more challenging. Let's just say I'm not the best person in the world to go to a hen night sober. It was a sedate affair - dinner out and then a comedy gig. I did notice that the drinking wasn't as crazy as it might have been had I been on the lash with them. Some people weren't even drinking! Making small talk with strangers is not my forte. I'm well able for it but find it totally exhausting. And boring. I fear I'm a bit of a grumpy old lady and sometimes people just aren't my favourite. They just aren't! I put on a good show but was ready to leave by 11. Still it was my first sober night out so I can allow myself some room for adjustment!

I hope you're all doing well, sober mummy back from her Jamaican holiday - I've started dropping hints already!!

Lots of love to you all

xxxMtts

22 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect. You definitely do not need to go to a pub.
    And small talk. Yuck. My husband always says nothing good happens after midnight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, and often even for the hour before that too!

      Delete
  2. You rock mtts! Must be nearly a year now?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey MTTS - I agree, small talk on nights out is tedious. I can't imagine a hen night sober, they're my idea of hell anyway. Good on you for staying sober and happy on St Patrick's, in Ireland for goodness sake. You can take on any challenge ;-) Red xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red! Have wedding coming up soon which I shall endure!

      Delete
  4. I was thinking about you on St Paddy's Day. There were people here drinking green beer. Good for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to drink green beer when I was in college.
    Vacations are fun, if I didn't have to pack!
    I also am not a fan of bridal showers or bachelorette parties.
    (Well, I am too old to be invited to the bachelorette parties, so that's good!)
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had green beer I have to say! Ah well!

      Delete
  6. Hi MTTS, it's great to hear from you. I am in Australia and we celebrate St Patrick's Day too. The little guy wore green to school and I know people use it as an excuse to drink. I wonder if other countries celebrate Australia day? I think not! A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it's about St Patrick isn't it? He is celebrated all over the world. But why is it an excuse to drink? It's so stupid!

      Delete
    2. I know Angie! Here in the US, some of us have a little bit of Irish in us. My hubby's father's family is all from Ireland. But how does drinking help celebrate St. Patrick?
      I know all about St. Patrick as I used to teach my students so they knew the real story, not just wearing green or drinking.
      It is crazy!

      Delete
    3. Darlings, alot of us don't need any excuse to drink!

      Delete
  7. If you can survive Paddys Day, a Hen and Good Friday here you are probably good : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's funny how little everyone else seemed to be drinking though. Maybe it was just me all along!

      Delete
  8. Well done on mastering both of those sober. I especially like the realisation you don't have to go on to the next spot or stay later than you want. Having had Irish parents but raised in England, Paddy's Day was always a subdued affair. My mum the Catholic would follow the saints days and was not given to drinking more than a glass of sherry at Christmas. When I moved to Chicago for 10 years it felt like the whole city was Irish, they even dye the river green. Ironically when I lived in the states I barely drank, in ten year I maybe had 10 drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! So what do you think sparked your drinking when you left?

      Delete
  9. And now easter too. Today was a hard one for me and I really felt like a drink or 10. It passed and am fine now and happy I didn't drink. I kind of knew I wouldn't but I just wanted to sit and zone out once the lunch had been served. I would be lying sleeping on the sofa by now if I had started and the house would have been a tip till tomorrow, etc etc Hang on in there lovely lady x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EH. It's funny, I'm learning that I will still feel like drinking sometimes. But it's only a feeling and it will pass....

      Delete
    2. Hey how's it going? All good here. Feeling calmer and less bothered by it all. Long may that last!

      Delete
  10. sorry I feel so bad that 'm so intermittent with my blogging! i'll put up a post now. x

    ReplyDelete