Tuesday 9 February 2016

Shaking it up

Hello all

I feel bad for not having posted in ages but I've been sick and also I've been working through another decision I've made involving what I put in my body. After years and years of being a vegetarian I've decided to embark on a flirtation with the vegan world. So here I am a non-drinking, vegan, runner. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME??!!! How did this come about? I'm not a hemp eating, tie dye wearing staunch animal rights activist!! Who in this fresh hell is this new, unknown being emerging from it's crysalis?

When I talk to my close friends about my decision I feel like quantifying with 'but I'm not really like that' I suppose I have an idea in my mind of what vegans are like and I'm not it. I mean, I have a sense of humour, I like clothes, makeup, I get waxed for jaysus's sake....so I suppose I'm trying to see where I fit in in this new lifestyle. I've been thinking about it alot and I've been watching some videos on you tube about animal fare and I just can't be part of that industry anymore. I also feel great (apart from having a serious cold/lurgy type thing for the last week) I'm running 3/4 times a week and my mood is optimistic and positive.

Giving up animal products really reminds me of how I felt when I gave up booze. 'Awww I can never have wine/malteasers/brie/butter/cider again. That makes me sad' to 'Yes! I can do this, I feel great and I know this is good for me' to 'This is TOO HARD, I can't do it!' I know that it takes a few months to get into any big change in life and that I just need to give it time.

I'm still revelling in a new depth I've found in myself and my relationships. I love those deep, meaningful. all about life conversations that make you feel much closer to those you've had them with. I love that I'm growing into myself and figuring out (maybe 20 years too late!!) when I am and what I'm supposed to do.

So people that's it. I hope you're all keeping on keepin on...I'm off to make a gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, meat free, taste free pancake for myself. Yum ;-)


xxxxxMtts

15 comments:

  1. Wow! You're a flippin inspiration! Here I am still struggling with giving up one thing. I love that you're feeling so good :-). How in the hell did you make vegan pancakes eh? I'm struggling with gluten-free, never mind everything-free!! Red xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah red, I've just gotten a bit further on along the road. At the start I ate anything with cream in it most days. Don't worry about it! Just focus on the booze for now!

      Delete
  2. WoW! I don't know how you do it! I didn't know you couldn't eat gluten either? I have endometreosis and they recommend you give up basically everything that is good in life. I just can't do it. So for you! A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bit was a joke!! I totally can have gluten and sugar too. I'm not a freaking freak!! No way am I giving up those. No way.

      Delete
    2. I am celiac. I found out the day I quit drinking. Somehow that seems unfair. Lol

      But I am 100% gluten free and health changes have been incredible. Which, being celiac, makes sense. My body was attacking itself.

      Delete
  3. My good friends are vegans. But they are also drinkers. :) Anyhow, sometimes they cook a dinner for us and I have to say I LOOOOVE vegan vegetarian dinners. First even if you overeat, you still digest it fast. Second, all the spices and textures can be amazing. So don't call that pancake tasteless. :) I had some absolutely amazing vegan pancakes before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks time! They were good! With dark chocolate and lemon..yumsk.

      Delete
  4. That is very inspiring.
    I would like to cut down on my chicken. I don't eat hamburger anymore.
    Mostly chicken.
    And I know you can be healthy being a vegan.
    So good to hear from you!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you! You're some woman x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as they say in ireland, some woman for one woman. Lol! We're all some women in my mind!xx

      Delete
  6. Wow! You go girl! You sound so upbeat and positive. Well done you - clean living sounds great. Am still plodding along but quite happily. 9 months for me tom!!! You must have passed that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting.
    Just remember, this is an optional decision. If you choose to leave vegan ism behind and eat meat even, that's not a failure. It's a choice.

    I often wonder who I am as well. Lol. But I like this me much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The changes that come when you give up the drink are amazing! Figuring out what works for you is so important, and so personal. I know lots of vegans, and I don't think any of them are "like that" either! Some go back to more animal products after a while, some don't so it seems to differ either depending on the body or how you manage it. But I have to say, I always love eating great vegan food and there's lots of it! Good luck with the changes, and hooray for you being you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I support your decision if it feels good and healthy to you, I hope it works for and you thrive on it. I agree with ainsobriety that even if you do have a slice of Brie it is not failure. I am a bit shamefaced commenting on this post as I am not just a meat eater but a near carnivore, but my body thrives on it which shows how different we all are.

    ReplyDelete