Monday 11 January 2016

Sober joy!

For so many years the thought of giving up drinking would (literally) bring me out in a cold sweat. I was prepared to change or do anything else in my life but quitting wine was not one of them. I thought about it ALOT, I knew it was bad for me. I always felt my life would be easier without wine. But I was never, ever brave enough to make the leap.

Then one day eight months ago I woke up with a hangover. My husband had been away the night before and I'd taken the kids down to a local restaurant (on the bus!) for dinner. I brought them to the place that I knew served massive glasses of red wine. I had two of them. Then I bought a bottle of wine on the way home and drank that too once the kids were in bed. I stayed up till 2.30am watching crap on the telly. The next day I woke up and I discovered sober blogs. I have no idea with the amount of alcohol googling I did how I had not found these blogs before. The first blog I found was Mummy was a secret drinker. I devoured it and through it found some more people who were on the sober journey. My husband came home that night and I told him I was giving up drink. For good. At first I think he thought 'yeah, yeah, then Friday will come and it'll be off to the offey for wine'. We spoke again the next day and he said that he knew I had to give it up and that it had gotten worse in the last year. The first few months were scary and challenging but also very empowering.

I'm so proud of myself for what I've achieved. I can't believe that I don't drink anymore. I never would have believed that I could or would have done it.

Like the lady says - No one ever regrets not having that bottle of wine last night!


Keep it country people.

xxMtts

21 comments:

  1. You rock, mtts, and I'm so chuffed to have been a part of it. You've helped me too - more than I can say. To us! And to Bowie ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8 months today for me too!!! Woke up on 11th May last year with a hangover (on a monday) and just thought 'That's it! Enough us enough' I had read an article about soberistas and it was like it was talking directly to me. Then found sober mummy. Then you!!! And i am so glad i did. 8 months! Who would have thought it! Not been easy but so worth it and I am feeling more and more committed as time goes on and especially after the new guidelines. Well done you on 8 months and thank you for blogging xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you too! You're one of the 8 month gang, there from the start! It hasn't been easy but it really really has been so worth it. xxx Mtts

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be proud of yourself. You decided to make a change for the better. A scary, difficult change.

    You are living the life you were supposed to live!

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting there! Reflection is a new thing in my life. I think I need some space for it, meditation or something like that. x

      Delete
  5. i discovered sober blogs last march after a major blackout... that have been a pretty significant part of my 20's and 30's. I often wonder why i blackout so bad, it definitely got worse as i got older. Blackouts haunt me, the nights i can't remember are the ones i never ever forget and they eat away at my soul and leave so much anxiety and terror in the pit of my stomach. Over the last 5 yrs i have read more books about women and alcohol that anyone in ireland I would say! I love memoirs but all your blogs are amazing. Feeling connected and supporting each other is so powerful. I am committed to my sobriety now in a new way. Come on 2016!! It takes work but I am proud of me (mostly) and that sure is better than being ashamed, regretful and full of remorse. Thank you mtts for an awesome blog, you seem like one cool mammy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 20's were FULL of crazy dangerous blackout. Once I woke up with two bottles of spirits in my bag and black thumb shaped bruises on my arms. That was a bad day. I still blacked out alot before I stopped drinking but as I mostly just drank at home they were safer. That sounds healthy. A 'safe' blackout. Please try and forgive yourself those blackouts. I know it's really hard but they're the reason you're now sober and fully committed to it. Imagine if you were still drinking and still having blackouts. Now that fills me with terror and anxiety!!!

      Delete
  6. Dear MTTS,
    Congratulations!!
    I am proud of you too!
    Nothing is made better by drinking, and now we know this truth!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the truth. The further away from drinking we get the more obvious that becomes. xx

      Delete
  7. So awesome! proud of you and proud of us. We officially rock :)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So awesome! proud of you and proud of us. We officially rock :)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations mtts! Will be hitting the 8 months mark myself in a couple of weeks, and I could not have done it without all you sober bloggers! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eeoww! if only we were all nearer we could celebrate in person! Good for you. xx

      Delete
  10. Wow - hearing about you reaching 8 months, and it feeling so good, is such inspiration to a newbie like me! I've been reading your blog for months, but only recently taken the plunge. Thanks MTTS :-) Red xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw thanks red! I'm trying to be more proactive and blog more. It helps to know that there are people reading! I'm following you by the way. x Mtts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow - thanks MTTS! That's great! Yes am finding blogging is holding me accountable - and it's also hugely encouraging when peeps read :-) Red xx

      Delete
  12. Hi Mtts so glad to hear you are proud of yourself, you should be proud. I am behind on my reading having gone AWOL for a few days but I am back now and catching up. Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks GG. It's great to have a little crew who understand! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely to read this. I hear you on the sober joy! What an amazing thing, to make that big change and make it work. Congratulations, and thanks for being a shining light! xo

    ReplyDelete